Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement


PRETTY LOCKS ALL IN A ROW

When I first started hand fiber processing about 10 years ago I thought I came up with a new and innovative ways to do a "thing". For instance, scouring wool locks in tulle to keep them neat and tidy.  I thought I was the very first person to ever think of this until I read in multiple older publications the very same technique! Who knew I was channeling artists of days gone by.  Great minds eh?

Anywho, The reason I started using this technique was to keep my locks in the same orientation so I could comb a true worsted combed top and scour a good deal of locks at one time.  When I first started using this technique to preserve my best-loved locks I found that the type of tulle is very important.   The thicker, more rigid tulle is much more effective than the softer tulle.   I cut a piece of tulle as wide as my scouring vessel and 2 1/2 times the length of my locks.  This will account for the fold over at the top. I then lay the locks putting the cut edge along the halfway point of the length.  I put the locks in a single row, if they are laid down too thick the scour liquid cannot penetrate them as well.




Fold over the tulle keeping the locks from getting folded or kinked.  




When I first started using this technique I used staples to hold the edges together, but then I had to take the staples out which was pretty time-consuming. Then I opted to sew the edges shut with larger stitches. Again, too time-consuming. I thought maybe I would machine sew the sides leaving the top open so I could just slip in the locks, but it was a bit difficult to get the locks in the correct position this way.  Then I read somewhere to use safety pins that did not rust. So I headed down to the local quilt shop to pick some up. They were out, but had these nifty mini clamps.  These worked like a charm!!


Fold the edges first taking care not to have the fold over on top of the fiber. Place a couple of clamps to hold the tulle closed.


Then fold over the top as close as you can to the fiber, again not having the fold or clamps over the top of the fiber. This will impede the flow of the scour on the fiber.

Place your fiber pocket into your scouring bath. Try to use a scouring vessel that keeps your envelope in a flat orientation.  If you fold it the locks will come out of place and not be in a tidy row.  When your scouring bath is done, rinse them in the envelope as well.


Either place the bags with the clips in place in your Nina Soft spin dryer and then remove the clips.  Or remove the clips, keep the fiber in the tulle, place the fiber envelope on a towel and roll to take out excess water.  


Open the tulle, take out the locks to dry.  



Your locks are now ready to use on wool combs, flick and spin or put through your carder.  Have fun!




JOIN OUR MONTHLY GROUP SALES!
CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR FIBER FUN!








Post a Comment

3 Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Mary. We appreciate the knowledge that you share so freely with all of us. Very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done this for years course I'm old.
    😊

    ReplyDelete