Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

What the heck is Soffsilk®

I get asked that question quite a bit. What is Soffsilk®?  Soffsilk is 100% mulberry silk fiber.  That's it. Just a cloud of silk.  The way it's made is proprietary through out maker and I don't even know how they make it.  





This is how it all started. This is an excerpt from a Spin artiste interview in November 2014

SA: Speaking of beautiful silks, you have created your own custom silk product called Soffsilk ®. Can you describe Soffsilk®, and what was the process like to come up with this fantastic material?

ME: Soffsilk® was developed out of desperation. Particularly because of the pulled silk wastes that were stringy, dirty tangles of mess and came in mostly reds and blues. I loved the idea of the pulled silk, but just could not bear to put bad fiber into my yarns and the color choices put a tight boundary on my work. I worked with my overseas business partner and together we developed a premium machined silk fiber that was both clean, ultra soft and could be dyed any color of the spectrum. Once I got my hands on it I knew it was something special.

SA: What a great idea come to life! I can only image your excitement when it all came together. How have your customers responded to Soffsilk®?

ME: My customers are gaga over Soffsilk®. It gives them the versatility to spin it, blend with other fibers, felt with feltable fibers and even make paper using the silk fusion technique. It creates ultra light weight yarns, even when multi plyed. It also lets them experience silk in a more relaxed way in that they don’t have to learn to spin from the fold like they would with a slick silk brick. It’s a user friendly fiber.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FULL INTERVIEW

This fiber is fabulous to blend with other fibers, make confetti cake batts or even silk paper.  The confetti cake batts make the best tweed-like yarn.

CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW TO MAKE A CONFETTI CAKE BATT WITH MY ONLINE CLASS




CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW TO MAKE SILK PAPER VIA THIS PDF CLASS


What is Soffsilk® exactly? Check out this video and I tell you all about it.





Now that you know all about this unique fiber what are you going to make?

Cheers,
Mary Egbert

Post a Comment

0 Comments