Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement





2 ply from one bobbin...two colors

In the world of fiber just about everything has been done before.  The "thing" may not have been posted on Facebook, had a blog written about it or published, but that does not mean it did not happen.  For instance, I figured out a way to spin two different colored yarns on one bobbin and ply them together from a center-pull-ball (CPB).  More on the CPB debate a bit later.  

And I am certain that this technique has been published somewhere I just have not read the book yet *wink*  So here it goes and kudos to the person who first discovered this technique.

I measured out my fiber...one ounce of a turquoise and one ounce of a blend of merino and tussah silk.  I spun the blend and then I joined the turquoise and finished the bobbin.


You can see on the bobbin the blend peeking through.


I then wound it on a ball winder.  You can see the turquoise is in the center and the blend is on the outside of the ball.


Now here comes the debate. I am a fairly technical spinner who loves to follow the guidelines of a super balanced yarn.  And I know the yarn coming out of the middle has more twist then the yarn coming off the outside of the ball and can cause the yarn to be a bit wonky. I absolutely love spinning from a CPB so I shall continue doing what I love  😉  So here I go.

When you ply pulling the yarn out of the middle and from the outside you are plying the two colors together.  AND (I should have taken a video) I was short TWO INCHES of the yarns being exactly the same length! How's that for consistency.



The only thing I would change next time is use an 18 micron merino or maybe a Polwarth to mirror the softeness of the blend.  But overall it turned out pretty cool.









Post a Comment

0 Comments